Sunday, June 1, 2008

Very Cool: Sons of Confederate Veterans Have Plans to Fly the Stars-and-Bars in a VERY Big Way!

I admit it: I tend to sympathize with the Confederate side when I study the Civil War. It really was about more than just slavery, as the self-righteous reductionists wish to have us believe. I really don't think slavery would have survived down South past 1900, if the Confederacy had achieved its desired independence.

However, the South failed to prevail in this country's bloodiest conflict to date.

Nonetheless, many brave men (both black and white) fought for the South and it is -- in my view -- criminal to try to blot their memory from the historical landscape.

Two men alone -- Robert E. Lee and General "Stonewall" Jackson -- prove that the South had a noble streak. (Of course, there were many other noble Confederates, as well.)

That is why I am pleased that the Sons of the Confederacy have big plans to fly their colors in the Tampa area!

No comments: